Easy and Delicious Recipe: Massaged Kale Salad
One of my absolute favorite foods is kale.
I know, you’re probably thinking of the tasteless mush that most people experience when they eat kale, but trust me, it is one of the best foods available.
To prove it to you, I’m going to share a recipe with you. I’ve made variations of this recipe regularly for the last few years and never seem to get sick of it. There truly are infinite variations of it, so you can make it suit your needs.
First, let’s get into why kale is an important part of your diet. Here are some of the basics:
- It’s very high in iron (actually more than beef…)
- It’s high in calcium, and the calcium is contains is much easier for your body to absorb and assimilate than the calcium found in dairy (there are many indications that your body actually loses calcium in trying to get the calcium from dairy, so it’s really not a great way to boost your bones)
- It’s chock full of phytonutrients including carotenoids, flavonoids and other antioxidants
- It’s so quick and easy to make
- It’s filling and nutritious
So let’s get on to my favorite recipe for kale:
1-2 bunches of kale (any kind)
pinch of salt
extra virgin olive oil
optional additions: peas, carrots, tomatoes, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, cashews, almonds, walnuts, berries, apple, pear, fresh herbs, dried herbs, any of your favorite spices, garlic, nutritional yeast, spirulina, avocado, chickpeas, quinoa1. Cut the kale into thin ribbons and place into a large bowl.
2. Sprinkle a pinch of salt on the kale and enough olive oil to coat the kale.
3. With clean hands, massage the kale for about 5 minutes until soft and tender.
4. Then add any other ingredients you like to the salad.I’ve listed some of my favorites additions above, but you can play with this as much as you like!
And that’s it… It takes 10-15 minutes at most to make and you can make a large batch to last a few days.
In joy + appreciation,
P.S. Kale is amazing in so many ways, find ways to incorporate it today (try the recipe!)