Easy Ways to Add Exercise To Your Daily Routine
As the weather gets colder, and the days get shorter, exercise tends to take a backseat.
Moving your body is so important though, particularly in the cooler months when our circulatory and lymphatic systems can tend to stagnate a bit… so let’s uncover some ways to fit more exercise into your daily routine even when it is cold and dark outside.
First off, you need to find something that you love to do, something that you enjoy. It might be swing dancing, running, lifting weights, crossfit, boxing, yoga, swimming, hiking, or just taking long walks.
Take a moment now and brainstorm some activities that you enjoy, that bring a smile to your face.
Now pick 1-3 of those and schedule them in so you’re doing one of those at least 4-5 times a week to start. It can be 20 minutes, or it can be an hour. The length of time is less important than the routine.
After a week or two, do a little check in with yourself. See if you were able to stay consistent in doing something active most days of the week. If necessary, think of other activities you enjoy, and play around with your schedule until you find a routine that works well for you.
The other thing I’d like you to do is brainstorm at least 5 ways you can add more movement to your daily life without scheduling it. These would be simple things that you fit into your regular routines. Here are some examples to get you started:
- Park farther away from the store
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator (if you have a long way to go, just walk up one or two flights of stairs before taking the elevator)
- Walk over to pick up your lunch instead of getting it delivered
- As you’re brushing your teeth, do some heel raises or squats
- Use a basket instead of a cart at the grocery store
- While cooking, do some heel raises or knee raises
- During commercials on TV, do pushups or situps
- Whenever you think of it throughout the day, do 5 jumping jacks
- While on the phone, do some lunges or crunches
- Do a couple of extra loops when walking around a store or mall
I would love to hear some of the ideas you come up with! Send me a note here and let me know what fun activities you’re going to do more of this week, and what ways you’re going to add more movement into your regular routines.
I hope you’re having a wonderful holiday season so far!