Soaking Nuts For Better Digestion + Maximum Nutrition
I often get complaints from my clients that nuts are too heavy or difficult to digest. Here’s a trick I use that not only makes nuts easier to digest, it makes it easier for your body to absorb the maximum nutritional value from the nuts. It also happens to be extremely easy to do. Win all around!
So what is it? Soaking them!
Most nuts have digestive enzyme inhibitors that are there to prevent you from digesting the nut. If the nut is digested, it can’t grow into a tree, so the digestive enzyme inhibitors protect it. The easiest and simplest way to neutralize these compounds is to soak the nuts.
When you do that, the nut naturally sheds the digestive enzyme inhibitors as it gets ready to sprout. This makes the nuts much easier to digest and makes the other nutrients in the nuts more bio-available so that your body can more easy absorb and use them.
For this you will want to use raw nuts, or nuts that have not been roasted. Once nuts have been roasted, the oils in them have gone rancid. Rancid oils are one of the biggest sources of free radicals. which can lead to cellular damage and have even been linked to several chronic illnesses.
Moreover, once the nuts have been roasted they are no longer alive, so soaking them will not make the nutrients more bio-available. In fact, roasting them destroys many of the important nutrients in nuts, so you really want to go for raw nuts to get the most nutritional value out of them.
Here are some tips for soaking nuts:
- Ideally you want to soak most nuts for 6-8 hours (e.g. overnight or while you’re at work)
- If you don’t have 6-8 hours, even a couple of hours will make a big difference
- You want to use raw nuts or nuts that have not been roasted
- Softer nuts (e.g. cashews, macadamia nuts) don’t need quite as long, a few hours is plenty for these
- Soak the nuts in clean water
- When done soaking, rinse them thoroughly (the digestive enzyme inhibitors are now in the water so you don’t want to use the water)
Try it out. If you found this helpful, please share it with your friends.
In joy + appreciation,
P.S. Short version: Soaking nuts makes them easier to digest and helps you get the most benefit out them.